UNDERSTANDING BOLLARD SYSTEMS
With bollards and/or bollard barriers, it is important that you, as the CUSTOMER, understand that there can be no guarantee that a vehicle of ANY weight at ANY speed will be stopped from penetrating through a BOLLARD SYSTEM and beyond, colliding into the very thing you were attempting to protect.
STOPPING VEHICLES IS AN INEXACT SCIENCE
This is an inexact science because their are so many variables. One may surmise that, “well, definitely an economy car is going to bust through a line of 8″ Schedule 40 Pipes” but physics tells us that there exists some speed at which it could penetrate the barrier. Maybe that’s 200MPH? Or 10MPH?
THERE’S ALWAYS A BIG ENOUGH VEHICLE TO BREACH BOLLARD(S)
Additionally, a “heavy enough” vehicle may be able to breach any bollard barrier. And if someone is a driver who is not concerned with their own welfare, all bets are off. Terroristic ram-raid preparedness requires exceptionally stout bollards and bollard barrier designs. And these are not always going to be adequate.
EVERY INSTALL IS UNIQUE
Finally, a particular install has unique characteristics that determine its fortitude. These characteristics may fortify or weaken the system. These include the type and quality of the earth around footings or trench, unseen weaknesses in concrete, weaknesses or defects in pipe, the vehicular approach to barrier and how it governs vehicle speeds etc. There are so many variables, we cannot claim 100% certainty of anything in regards to the bollards’ or bollard barrier’s capability.
NO GUARANTEES ON PERFORMANCE
In speech or in writing, we may appear to make certain claims about how a bollard or bollard barrier will perform. We must do that in order to determine a sufficient solution for the CUSTOMER. However, the CUSTOMER must understand that we really have no way of knowing for sure how something will perform. It’s really a “best guess”.
WHERE THERE’S A WILL, THERE’S A WAY
Bollard Canada Inc makes no claims or guarantees on the capability of any bollard or barrier it installs, to stop a sufficiently motivated ram-raider, whether they be a terrorist, burglar, vandal, errant vehicle or otherwise. If someone wants to bad enough, they will find a way to breach your bollard(s) or bollard barrier.
If you, the CUSTOMER, are buying a BARRIER type BOLLARD SYSTEM and are not having an install crash-rated bollards like the C40, K4 or K12, it is important that you know for yourself why you have chosen not to do so. It is important that the CUSTOMER knows about them and their benefits.
CUSTOMER HOLD BOLLARD CANADA INC HARMLESS
• a BOLLARD SYSTEM that has failed to perform as expected.
• a BOLLARD SYSTEM that has been determined to have contributed to the injury or any person(s). This includes pedestrians, cyclists, motorists or any person that is determined to have been, or claims to have been injured as a result of the BOLLARD SYSTEM.
• a BOLLARD SYSTEM that, by the fact of its existence, has contributed to the event of a person or person(s) being pinned between any part of the BOLLARD SYSTEM and a moving object. It is understood that, had the BOLLARD SYSTEM not existed, the resulting injuries may have been reduced or negated. For instance, a person can become pinned between a BOLLARD and an automobile, thus resulting in injury or death. If the BOLLARD SYSTEM was not there, then maybe the person would not have been injured.
• a BOLLARD SYSTEM that for lack of maintenance has resulted in ANY loss of ANY kind. For instance, a bollard has been bent over in such a way that has caused injury due to it’s abnormal condition. Here, you must contact SPS or another capable contractor for a remedy. It is a must that bollards are maintained in proper working order, and it is the responsibility of the CUSTOMER to take periodic stock of the BOLLARD SYSTEM’S condition, and to contact a capable contractor for remediation.
• horseplay of any kind, on or around a BOLLARD SYSTEM. This includes sports that are performed near a BOLLARD SYSTEM: skateboarders, rollerbladers, cyclists, runners or other active performers that have, by collision or otherwise, with a the BOLLARD SYSTEM, become injured or killed.
• a BOLLARD SYSTEM that, as a result of weather, catastrophic events, freak accidents or acts of God has resulted in personal injury or monetary loss. One example might be Lightning strikes.
• a BOLLARD SYSTEM that is deemed or claimed to be unsafe because it is not Safety Yellow, Safety Orange or any Highly Visible color. We always recommend Safety Yellow, but the CUSTOMER decides what color(s) the BOLLARD SYSTEM is. And if intended to be a Highly Visible color, the CUSTOMER is responsible to maintain that color should it fade or be somehow compromised. We always recommend bollard covers for longevity of brightness, rather than the duty to paint the bollards often. It is also recommended to use 3M reflective products like tape or reflectors.
• A vehicle accident that involves the BOLLARD SYSTEM in any way.
• ANY other reason that may have been obviously overlooked while writing this document. One cannot list all possible hazards.
CUSTOMER ACKNOWLEDGES POTENTIAL DANGERS PRESENTED BY BOLLARD SYSTEM
You, the CUSTOMER, having read and understood all potential dangers outlined in this document, acknowledges the risks, herein described, that you are accepting by buying a BOLLARD SYSTEM.
BOLLARD SYSTEM DEFINITION:
Any Regular Bollards , fix, removable, spring,